Friday, January 17, 2014

California - Day 7 & 8

Sunny California - I will miss you!

Day 7 - Work Hard...
This photo was featured in an ad campaign Envelopments ran in Martha Stewart Weddings.
I, too, use this image at wedding shows to promote this incredible line!

Before I left for California, I did a little research and realized that the Envelopment's head office was only 15 minutes from our hotel.  Envelopments is an amazing company with this most gorgeous paper and paper products perfect for invitations including pockets and other enclosures.  They are very popular with many of my brides.  Cardmakers also go crazy for their designer shimmer cardstocks.  Their quality and product offering is second to none.  And I am proud to say that The Paper Pickle Company is the area's exclusive Envelopments dealer!  

I contacted the company and was thrilled that they agreed to allow me to visit!  I could not wait to see where the magic happened!

Spot the 'LOVE' banner?
I HAD to take a picture of this prop used in the ad above!
The moment I arrived, I knew I was in for a treat!  Jennifer, the Business Development and Marketing Communications manager showed me around and personally introduced me to every member of their team.  Everyone was so warm and welcoming.
Fresh, open concept complete with their signature 'v' flap design in the building design 
I loved the open concept.  The paint, furniture and numerous windows added to the fresh and creative atmosphere!  They even have their own Zen garden!  

And when I heard they were a family run business, with many members of the team being connected (husband and wife, sisters, etc.), I had to share stories about being apart of a family run business.  Jennifer had to chuckle when she heard how we got our name.  You see, her husband is a cucumber aficionado.  He knows which are best for juicing and for his "green" drinks.  He knows where to buy the best and freshest in the area.  So when I met him in the production and shipping area, we had lots to chat about!  Such crazy connections in this world of ours.....
I felt so tall next to Jennifer and Laura!  I have to smile when I look at this photo.
They look like they are dressed for winter (or working in a cool office) and I am the tourist in flip flops!
What am I wearing?  Really?  It's like business on top and party on the bottom!  Ha!
I mean it was 85F that day!!  Ha.  Such cute girls!

A display of Envelopments beautiful product
I had a chance to see the new designer papers and colours and I cannot wait to offer these to you!  I am absolutely in love with the colours and patterns.  I know designs will come easily to me with the help from this leading edge company!

I also got to see the die cutting machine in action and that just blew me away!  We could make some serious progress and designs with our Memory Box dies in that machine!!

Got scraps?
Another thing that blew me away?  The amount of scrap paper that could be generated by a company like this.  Have a look at this bin!  Scraps are always an issue for any paper crafter.  The question is always, "keep or toss".  I had to ask Jennifer about this and I was thrilled to hear that these scraps get donated to various agencies who put them to good use.  Programs use these scaps for children's crafts, etc.  How amazing.

If I ever decide to move to California, I know where I will start looking for a job!  Ha!

Day 7 - ...Play Hard!

It seemed strange but it was still Christmas at Disney!
It was time for Jennifer to get back to work and it was time for me to meet up with my family!  We had one day left of play in California and we chose to visit Disneyland for one last time (this trip anyways!)
Julia was thrilled to get two more autographs in her Simple Stories Say Cheese autograph book!
Anyone going to Disney NEEDS this great little book complete with autograph area and placed for pictures.
 I will ask the boss if I can bring hers to the store to show you!

We met THE Mouse of all Mice!
He was ready for this photo op in his house!
Fun in Toontown
He was really working hard to lift these out of the ground.
Day 8 - Homeward Bound...

Anyone who knows me knows this is my favourite movie.
Day 8 was a very long day of travel.  Trevor was concerned with morning rush hour traffic in LA.  I didn't really think about that when I booked our 11:38am flight.  We left the hotel just after 7am to beat the traffic.  We did make the mistake of hitting the road immediately after eating breakfast but this time we were prepared and Coulter knew just what to do with his Target bags!

We made it with plenty of time to spare.  That was fine as we sat and relaxed and got ready for the flight home.

Once boarded, the flight was delayed an hour due to issues with the luggage weight but that was fine.  I spent the entire hour (and more) sorting through my new catalogues and choosing which products are a must for the store!  I was in my happy place.

The icing on this trip's cake came when I started scanning through the flight's movie choices and came across the movie "Almost Famous".  Like, really??  This movie is older and more of an indie hit so of course I was surprised.  The first scene shows a California beach town in 1973 during the Christmas season with Alvin and the Chipmunks singing.  It was all too perfect.  I don't know why this little detail just made my trip but it did!

We landed after 8pm local time, drove through our "welcome home" Canadian snowstorm and were safe and sound in our house by midnight.  Ahhh....It felt good to be home.

"It's all Happening"...
After all these post, I'm sure you can conclude that the trip was a success!  I will admit that it was one of the most rewarding trips I have ever been on.  It was incredible to experience the California beaches and Disney together as a family.  We learned so much and laughed so much.  There were so many firsts and I will never forget it!

And from a business perspective....well let's just say I have been re-energized!  I have been inspired.  I am ready to create and share my passion with you!  Look for big changes in the very near future.  It's all happening....

Kim

PS...The store is open Saturday (9:30am-3pm) and it is the last day of our sale (BOGO 50% off all stamps, dies and embossing folders).  It is also the last day of our contest!  Add comments to the blog or facebook and you will be entered into a draw for very yummy goodies which will take place next week!  Winner to be announced Thursday morning!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

You're last couple of days in California look like so much fun! I hope you have a safe trip back!

Pauline said...

Kim, what a wonderful trip you and your family had from both personal and business related. From Disney Land to CHA - thanks for sharing your intake in all this. I can't wait to see what new 'goodies' you bring into the store.

Debbie said...

Kim, can't wait to see all the new products in your store. You and your great store keep me inspired.

Jackie Plank said...

Oh Kim, such a wonderful vacation you have enjoyed with your family.. now to scrapbook it all :)
I can't wait for all the new goodies to start arriving.. yummy!!